The comments and views expressed here do not reflect those of my employer, my doctor, my bookie, or anyone really, including myself.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Old Drawing + New Poem + Old Meter = New Post


The grimmest gargoyles guard those gates of gold,
And, watched by ancient wind-worn walls, await
Their Lord, who long has left the Lightless Lands
On errands evil. Eons exiled, He
For crimes was cursed, from God’s Creation cast,
Returning not again to ruined realm.
Yet still those sentries stand in shackling spells,
Forever fettered; feared by few, forgot
By most, their Master’s malice merely myth.
Indeed, a dismal Doom, in darkness drown’d
Are grinning gargoyles guarding gates of gold.
So, I was kinda sitting there, and I thought to myself, why not some Alliterative Iambic Pentameter? Who WOULDN'T be up for that? And well, this is what came out. It's kind of over-the-top-fantasy, but I happen to LIKE over-the-top-fantasy. So sue me.
The drawing I did, oh...two? Three years ago now? It was a tattoo design for a guy I worked with in a warehouse. He wanted a gargoyle skeleton, which I figured was a kind of cliche idea for a tattoo, but what the hell, customer's always right and all those kinds of things. This is the drawing I gave him. He still hadn't gotten the tattoo by the time I left the job, and he paid me with a DVD I still haven't watched, which I'm sure proves something about symmetry to the universe or whatever.
Keeley, if you ever read this, you still owe me for Ross's tattoo design, for convoluted reasons which still aren't entirely clear to me.
And I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong.

1 comment: